Almost since the beginning of time (well, 1991), AFI has been referencing the number 3 in their song titles and lyrics. Below is the most comprehensive guide to AFI’s use of 3.
- Three Reasons
- Third Season
- Three Seconds Notice
- Triple Zero
- 3 1/2
- A Story at Three
- Rabbits Are Roadkill on Rt. 37
- “Three tears I’ve saved for you.” -Ever and A Day
- “A story at three with the shrillest of cries.” -A Story At Three
- “Three stories high, nothing is new.” -Fishbowl
- “That summer created those words that came to life in three.” -Now The World
- “I’m one hundred eleven less than perfection.” -Transference
- “Connect to a three-volt. I hope your battery dies.” -Kill Caustic
- “Three a.m. on the city street, when the air is sweet.” -The Killing Lights
- “Got a .40 growin’ up, even though I’ve got three.” -Born In The US of A
- According to Davey, “three is a powerful number.”
- The Devil works in threes, hence “666”
- Most demonic activity happens at 3am
- Religious symbolism person: In Catholicism, the Trinity – the union of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit into one being – is a key tenet
- It took Christ three days to resurrect from the dead
- 3 has always been a significant number in fairy tales. You are always granted three wishes, Goldilocks always tries three things before finding one that is just right, etc.
- Three is the number of power, balance, and resolution. It is linked with thought and creativity. In addition to the holy trinity (the father, the son and the holy spirit) it is also found in many other religions: Buddhism = the three precious jewels and the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha; Taoism: great triad (heaven man earth) Wicca = Hecate the triple goddess (maiden mother crone).
- Many things in nature occur in three: the lunar phases, beginning middle end, birth life death, past present future. It is one law of the universe that everything must have a beginning, middle, and end.
- in Greek Mythology there are three old witches who control birth, life, and death: Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos. Clotho spins the string, or life, Lachesis shakes the rods and throws the coins, controlling the life, and Atropos cuts the string, death.
- Rituals occur in threes
- Celebrities often die in threes
- The number 3 represents something hidden, either physically or emotionally
- The number 3 is also used to represent a lie
- 3 1/2 is the biblical symbol for imperfection.
Compiled by Alli from AFI Series, with additions from Jason.