AFI uses more gear and equipment than you might expect. Here is the Definitive AFI Equipment List, as found on a 2002 version of AFireInside.net. The list is divided into sections by band member. Enjoy!
- Drum Workshop (Black Lacquer)
- bass drum 18″ x 24″
- rack tom 9″ x 12″
- floor tom 14″ x 16″
- floor tom 16″ x 18″
- (sizes are depth x width)
- Drum Workshop
- 6.5″ x 14″ Pork Pie (Brass)
- 5.5″ x 14″ Ayotte “Keplinger” (Steel)
- 5.5″ x 14″ Ludwig “Black Beauty” (Brass)
- 6.5″ x 14″ Legend (Maple)
- Vater “Power” 5B (Woodtip)
Assortment of 18″, 19″ and 20″ Crashes. Mostly Zildjian A, some K’s. I’m breaking them constantly.
- 22″ Zildjian A Custom Ping Ride (really washy, check out Ever and a Day)
- 22″ Zildjian Z Custom Power Ride (super dry and pingy, listen to Wester)
- 22″ Zildjian A Ride (the middle of the road ride, hear Lost Souls)
- 14″ Ziljian Rock Hi-Hats
- 15″ Ziljian K Bottom and
- 15″ Ziljian Quickbeat Bottom Hi-Hat Combo
- Remo coated Emperors on toms and snares
- Remo Powerstroke III for bassdrum
- Furman PL8 Power Conditioner and Light Module
- Palmer ADIG-ST Advanced Direct Injection
- Sabine RT-1601 Rack Tuner
- Sony MB-806 Wireless
- Lexicon MPX G2 Effects Processor
- Mesa Dual Rectifier
I have 3 Les Paul Studios that I use mainly for touring and a Les Paul Standard that I use for writing. I also have an old acoustic, I have no idea who made it, that I use to write. In fact, most of Black Sails and All Hallows was written on that acoustic.
I have a whole bunch of Fender American Jazz basses (including a ’75 reissue that I do not tour with), and one American Deluxe Jazz. Some of my basses have custom bridges and I’ve replaced the pickups in half of them (with stock pickups) but other than that, they are standard stock basses*. The Deluxe has never been on tour and is completely stock.
I have a Mesa/Boogie 400+ head and an Ampeg SVT-2 Pro head. The Ampeg is my main head now and the Mesa is just a back up. I haven’t used the Mesa in the studio since the All Hallows EP.
I have a Sans Amp bass D.I. that I use on tour, but it hasn’t seen the studio since the All Hallows EP.
I have a Nady wireless setup, and a special custom transmitter installed inside one of my basses. You can’t even tell it’s there. It looks like I’m not plugged in when I use it. The rest of my basses use regular transmitters.
I use orange .60mm Tortex picks.
I hate strings.